Friday, August 10, 2007

The Ruins of Gede and my journey to Mt Kenya


I made an early start to reach the ruins by 8am, and was rewarded by having the place to myself completely. The ruins of the ancient swahili town of Gede are set away in the forest near the coast. "Ancient" in these terms means 14th century, but they were left derelict in 15th century and were left untouched until 1940's.

The ruins are not that impressive in themselves but the atomsphere of the thick forest around them makes them eery and mysterious in the semi dark and humidity.

In the afternoon I managed to find my way to visit the Consulate Sisters in Likoni, near Mombassa and had a really lovely afternoon seeing their dispensary and nursery school. Thank you, Sister Lawrence, for your invitation to visit them- it was a wonderful rest bite in the middle of an epic journey from Lamu to Nanyuki.

After 4 bus journeys in the last 2 days- including overnight to Nairobi, and many more matatu and ferry rides, I finally arrived in Nanyuki in the Central Highlands at lunchtime today. I had already arranged a guide, called Simon (by recommendation from other travelers) to meet me at the bus stop- and thankfully his friendly face greeted me.

I set off tomorrow on a 5 day trip up Simorion Route and down Chorgoria Route. These two routes notoriously pass through the most beautiful scenery Mt Kenya has to offer. I’m really excited about doing the trek especially since I think the rest of the Ferraro’s will be bursting with jealously!! Am I right? anyway... wish me luck as this time of the year has the most unstable conditions so i hope i make it to the top.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
I definitely won't be jealous of you climbing mount Kenya tomorrow. Why would I? I'm going to a BBQ with 6 screaming kids (and their parents I might add...) I know which I'd take anyday.
Enjoy - get some good shots and you can write a piece in the newsletter if you fancy!
Love
Adrian
p.s. I am very disappointed you didn't take the bait and feel the need to reply to my previous posting. It's no fun when I don't get a reaction you know!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian- did you know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and that in all your comments over the last two months, not once have you risen above the temptation to be distinctly big-brotherish and cynical so i have decided that sometimes it is best to ignore such mockery!

Yes, i will write a piece for your newsletter. However only on the condition that you admit ardently that you are truely jealous of my adventures !!

much love from your delightful sister xx

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children, children .... !

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Claire,

Yes, you are right - I am deeply jealous of your adventure in Africa and would dearly love to be squatting over some fly-infested long drop, rather than sitting in our back bedroom working out how

I am going to make some money. HOWEVER - I am hurt that my delightful sister (as you so eloquently put it) feels she has not had enough support in her big adventure from the person that she so evidently looks up to and admires for their intellect, charm, sense of humour, knowledge of adventure travel (I could go on…).

I seem to remember that on a skiing holiday recently, you secretly admitted to liking the mockery and big-brother jibes, so I saw no reason to stop. Sadly, that no longer seems the case… it may take me a while to adjust my ways (like years, I would imagine) but I will try!
Lots of love from your very jealous big brother
Adrian
xxx

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home