Thursday, August 02, 2007

Overnight ferry to Dar es Salaam

I couldn't help remembering the ferry ride I had taken from Sittwe to Mrauk U in Myanmar last year as I was checking in at Stone Town Port at 9pm. Visions of concrete floors with hundreds of locals all bedding down for the night, maybe even outside, were completely abolished when I stepped onto the air-conditioned ferry.

I was shown, with the other 5 mzungus (white people), to our very own cabin upstairs where there were soft comfy seats to bed down for the night. I was woken in the morning (8 hours later) to a man saying "taxi, taxi" ... we had arrived. The most comfortable easiest form of transport I have taken yet in all my travels!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be getting soft in your old age! I would have thought you would be using the ferry to save on overnight accommodation, by sitting up in an uncomfortable chair all night! Sounds as though Zanzibar was lots of fun...
Love Mum

2:55 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Mum- we're on tininternet at the same time!! you get my email? I did take overnight ferry to save accomadation- duh?! and it was half the price of day ferry so it balanced out the plane on the way to Zanzibar! xx

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home