Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Lamu- the most perfect place in Kenya!



Wow! I absolutely loved Lamu. I've just spent 5 special days in my favourite place in Kenya. It is a million miles away from the hassle of the tourist areas in other parts of the country. In many ways Lamu Town is similar to Stone Town, even smaller winding alleyways, this time filled with donkeys and children playing. The people are absolutely wonderful, everywhere you go you are greeted by "jambo" and "karibu" ("welcome") and unlike the rest of Kenya it was not (always) followed by "would you like a boat ride?" or, "come to my shop…"

The journey to Lamu by bus from Mombassa took 7 hours on some of the worst roads ever. It seemed to pass quickly though because I was talking to some really interesting characters sitting near me. There was also numerous birds and even baboons along the way so it was almost like a free safari.

As we reached the ferry to take us to the town (Lamu is an island). The heavens opened and my bags (and me) got absolutely drenched. Everything was soaked- including my passport! My electronic airoplane ticket is unreadable (whoops) and my rucksack has never looked so "well traveled" in its life before!

For about the sixth time this trip I randomally bumped into friend from Newcastle in a restaurant. So I joined Bex and her boyfriend Andy for some sunning on the expansive beach.

But the best bit about the last few days were the 2 (!) overnight dhow trips I took to a small island called Manda Toto. The traditional dhow was beautiful to sail, with its billowing sails we made our way through narrow channels lined by mangrove swamps. We caught fish from the boat, (the professionals caught many- stingray, angel fish, red and black snapper, and crocodile fish) but I also caught one small one! We grilled them and sat round a camp fire drinking and enjoying each others company, sleeping out under the amazingly bright stars. I enjoyed the first trip so much that I decided to repeat the whole thing again instead of visiting the rest of the coast. In fact if I hadn’t already booked a trek on Mt Kenya starting on Friday- I would be in Lamu for the rest of my trip.

So today i tore myself away from the relaxed friendly culture, said goodbye to the good friends I had made, and am now in Malindi. In a decidely dodgey guest house, but considering my lack of sleep in the last few days- I think I will sleep through anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home