Saturday, July 07, 2007

Gorillas in the sunshine!


The alarm clock went off at 4.15 am! You know me and early mornings don't usually mix well, but I am a reformed character on this trip as we have had so many early departures... This one was very special!

I was in a different group to Claire's, heading for the Sabinyo group of gorillas (13 in all, containing the biggest silverback of this National Park!). We drove about 30 minutes from the Visitor Centre, down a truly AWFULLY bumpy road, and then walked just ten minutes across the fields being worked by the local village people on their crops. We were approaching the wall which delineates the park boundary, ready to enter and look for the gorillas, when we saw some climbing over the wall towards us into the field!! They were in search of bamboo shoots growing there.

We watched them for a while, then they climbed back over the wall, and we followed, and tracked them through the forest, which was mainly bamboo, creepers etc. Very soon we came across the silverback, looking after his 'family' and eating loads of thistles, bamboo etc. These adult animals can eat about 30 kg of vegetation per day. Some of the younger family members were playing, chasing each other around trees, and climbing up and sliding down them. We were very close to them all, and two of our party were 'slapped' on the back as they ran past them. I have taken loads of photos and video (with which I am very pleased, considering I have had the camera for only two weeks!) The vegetation was not as dense as Claire's area, and the sun came out, so I think I chose well to do the 'moderate' option!

Visitors are only allowed one hour of tracking/viewing once the group is located, so as not to stress the animals. When we left to climb back over the wall, we were very close to two buffalo. We were back at our hostel by 10.45 am as we had found the group so quickly, but it was a magical few hours of adventure, which I feel very priveleged to have been able to experience.

Toinette

1 Comments:

Blogger pam said...

Hi both of you. Once I managed to find my way (with difficulty -don't say anything) into this blog thing I was thrilled to read your adventures it all sounds quite wonderful and an out of this world experience.I shall now visit you regularly.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home