Monday, September 04, 2006

Mt Everest

This is our first glimpse at the world's highest mountain.

We arrived at Rongbruk Monastery (the highest monastery in the world) at 4pm, then some of us set off on foot to walk 8km to the first Everest Base Camp on the northern side, whilst others took quaint horse and carriages. The walk took two hours and despite being at 5000m+ I was surprised by how easy it was.


Our arrival at the Base Camp, was greeted by the smallest glimpse of the top of the mountain appearing out of the cloud. There was souch a great atmosphere at the camp, because for many people this was the highlight of the trip. The Base Camp is a collection of fixed tents which offer bedding for the night. The Tibetan families who lived and ran the "guest houses" were extrememly friendly.

The morning came and with it a perfectly clear view of the whole peak. I just couldnt belive that I was looking at such a prestigious, famous mountain towering above us. Again we were all on such a high (literally!?) taking hundreds of photos, dancing celebratory jigs and singing. Half of the time though, I sat on my own staring, in disbelief of how lucky I am to have the opportunity of seeing Mt EVEREST!!!

Isnt it beautiful? I'm am so blatently a Ferraro!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home