Monday, July 26, 2010

elective students everywhere...

Je ne croyais pas! Including myself, there are 25 students here in the ID department of this hospital. 23 of them are French and one American girl who actually studies Public Health. Most of the french students came in 2s or 3s and had no idea that other students would be here. I wonder how many other students from Newcastle have found the same thing arriving at their hospitals?

My post a couple of months ago reflected a little on the impact of the migration of students between healthcare systems. Here I am - seeing it first hand. In the wards upstairs, each students looks after one or two patients. They see them every morning and depending on their stage of medical school, try and write in the notes what they think needs to be done. After that they check the medications and investigations (if the family can afford them) by the one doctor that is looking after all 16 patients on that ward. Ishmael, the doctor, is always under time pressure. Therefore the students are helping, but what happens if we miss something. Has this department become reliant on the number of stagiares (elective students)? Actually, I think not, since I know that at other times of the year there are far fewer, if any stagiares. but maybe more doctors take annual leave holiday now?

Some good things manifest themselves too because of the number of students. We have lessons every tues, weds and thurs mornings all together. This is either led by one of the doctors or the students themselves. (I am hoping that I don't have to embarass myself doing one!) Some of the doctors are also really good taking the time to explain things and teach the students, but to the detriment of which patient's care?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home